Set sail on the high seas (or on the living room rug) with our Recycled Egg Carton Boats.
This easy tutorial is fun for all ages and includes materials every household has on hand.
- Cardboard egg cartons
- 1 6-8 inch stick for each boat
- Non-toxic glue or paper washi tape
Build Your Boat
1. Trim your egg carton. Remove the top and any tabs off of the base. If you're using a large carton cut in half so there are 6 compartments on each boat.
2. Cut a small hole in one of the points and push your stick in through the bottom. If the stick doesn't stay on it's own secure it with non-toxic glue and let dry.
3. Find some twine or leftover string to reuse. Punch a hole in the center of one side of the carton to thread your string through. Tie it here and at the top of the stick.
4. Decorate your boat! Cut colorful tissue paper or newspaper into the sail and flags by folding the paper in half and cutting triangles along the fold. Customize your boat with paint or markers.
5. Secure your sails and flags around the stick and string with a paper washi tape or non-toxic glue.
6. Add peg dolls or figures and let your imagination run wild!